Monday, November 15, 2010

Machine Knit Mittens

I found a model at my last Machine Knitting Meeting.  One of the gals brought her granddaughter's.  One was about 6 and the mitten fit her perfectly.  This was knit with some purple yarn I bought at Fig Tree Alley.  It is a gorgeous purple acrylic sold for $5 a cone.  I bought it mainly to use for my prototypes.  My experiments on my knitting machines.  Each time I make something though I think I should save it for something real.  It's such a gorgeous color.

I made this mitten on my Studio 700 standard gauge knitting machine.  The cuff is a mock rib.  At the time of this project I was at my knitting machine meeting and did not have a ribber.  I also did not know how to use the ribber I had at home.  The mock rib looks nice, but doesn't have the stretch of a real rib.

I was really quite amazed as I made this mitten in about 25 minutes.  It took me about 1 hour to sew up the seams.

I made the size for a toddler, but the mitten nearly fits me.  It fit my 6 year old model perfectly.


3 days after I made this mitten I learned how to use my ribber.  I'm no expert, but I do know how to make 1X1 ribbing.  I made an adult size mitten with 1X1 ribbing.  Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment