Now if I can get my poodle to share I'll get to enjoy it. :)
What I did machine knit was a bust, BUT it opened my eyes to new possibilities. I've been wanting to make a Dead Fish hat for several years and the pattern just looked too complicated for me. What I found out was it was difficult to understand, but not complicated. Using my trusty Toyota Bulky, sans ribber, I went to work on the machine knit pattern for the Dead Fish Hat.
Why was it a bust? Well, the decreasing and increasing to get the fish shape happen on both sides of the knitted piece. EXCEPT when you fold it in half to sew up your fish hat all the increases and decreases end on one side. One ends up with a wonky fish hat. One ends up with one straight side and one curved side. A knitter on Ravelry solved this problem by moving the face and fins to center on the straight side making it the top of the fish. The curved side was now it's belly. Though it looked like it worked out fine for her. I really didn't like the idea of the fish lips (can't believe I just said fish lips) being on the sides of the mouth.
What I did like was the yarn. I decided that trying to make this work wasn't something I wanted to do. I decided to frog it. I'm going to make it in 2 pieces. That way the BOTH sides will have increases and decreases and my fish lips will be in their proper places!